Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ford 1.0 liter Ecoboost 3 cylinder

Drove the new Ford Focus with the 1.o Ecoboost 3 cylinder. I must say...I was really impressed! Considering its only a 1.0 with 125 horsepower it reved very nicely, and was torquey all the way from idle to redline. It was also really surprising how smooth it was, I could barely tell the engine was on from inside. I was wondering how they managed to balance a three cylinder so well but it turns out this was all NVH tuning. When the hood was poped open thye engine vibrated quite a bit at idle. However, the performance was incredibly good, it even made some nice sporty sounds as it reved up, never sounded like it was running out opf breath. That was also suprising considering the size of the turbo! You can see how small it is compared to my hand. It really goes to show how far a modern engine can go now when good fuel injection, variable vane turbo, and variable valve timming are combined!



No comments:

Post a Comment